Sawyer Dowd

Sawyer Dowd
Sawyer Dowd

TEDxLSSU: Identity is just 9 days away!

Meet our next speaker, LSSU student Sawyer Dowd:

“I am a sophomore at LSSU, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Pre-Law. I am currently the vice-president of our LSSU SAGE (Sex And Gender Equality) Club, Cultural Diversity Officer for the LSSU Student Government, and soon to be the Events Coordinator for our Native American Club. I am a full time student. In my free time, I like to read books and watch video essays about topics that I care about, such as diversity in video games. I also spent a lot of my time playing video games and interacting with others online. The most important thing to me is inclusivity, and having spaces where everyone can feel welcome and comfortable to express themselves and their ideas. “

Sawyer’s talk is titled, “The Importance of Recognizing Intersectionality”:

“I will talk about intersectionality, how it affects suicide rates, and what solutions we can provide to lower said rates. This relates to the theme of identity because factors such as ethnicity, sexuality and gender, and mental illness all contribute to a person’s identity. These factors are very important in making us who we are, and I feel that we need to support those who have faced challenges based on these factors in any way that we can.”