Part 1. The Theater (ENGL 110)

Welcome! This post is the first in a series of discussions about Emily St. John Mandel’s novel, Station Eleven, which will be happening in various courses this semester at Lake State. While participating in this discussion is required for some students, the conversation is open to the public.

To participate, choose one of the following two questions to answer in your reply.

After responding to the actor’s death onstage, Jeevan, who is training to be a paramedic, feels an “unexpected joy.” Why do you think Jeevan feels that way? Does the fact that he does make him a bad person? Have you ever had a similar moment of clarity?

or

When Jeevan is warned by his friend, Hua, about the epidemic, his response is to go to his brother’s apartment with carts of food and supplies. What would you do in Jeevan’s situation if you received a phone call like the one he gets from Hua on pages 17-19?

59 comments for “Part 1. The Theater (ENGL 110)

1. AV
    September 1, 2017 at 4:26 pm

I think if I received a phone call like the one Jeevan did from Hua, I would head to one of the smaller stores in town (to minimize contact with anyone who may have already been exposed to the virus), stock up on what I could, and head home to hunker down with my family. Given the natural resources we have locally, living in a sustainable manner is probably not as much of a stretch here than it would be in metro Toronto (or any other large city.) We already have a number of places in our region that are “off the grid”. The main issue is making sure you have food, water, and heat to get through winter. I am certain my family and I would be able to use what we have to continue living here in the UP.

• Ashley Clatterbuck
      September 3, 2017 at 11:33 pm

I think Jeevan felt the feeling of “unexpected joy” because he stopped and looked back on what just happened a few hours prior. He took action to save a man’s life and his adrenaline was pumping so he wasn’t fully aware of his emotions until he was able to step back and take a look and reflect on what had just taken place in front of him. He was also probably feeling this “unexpected joy” due to the fact that he was finally able to execute his paramedic skills. He’s been training for a long time and he finally was able to get hands on and try to save a person’s life. I don’t think he’s a bad person for feeling excited. At first, I was confused as to why he was feeling this way but once I stopped and thought about it I understand where he was coming from. He was finally able to make use of his skills and step in to help someone survive. I had an incident one time where I felt the need to step in. It was at our school’s prom one year and one of my friends starting acting strange. She mentioned that she was having double vision and eventually felt like she was going to pass out. My protective instincts kicked in and I automatically did everything I could to help and make sure she was safe.

2. Travis Butler
    September 1, 2017 at 4:41 pm

A death is a shocking event no matter if you know the person, you saw it, or you tried to help. There were a lot of witnesses to Arthurs death on stage, a whole crowd of people there to see the show in fact. When Arthur collapsed, Jeevan started to preform CPR, which he knew because he is training to become a paramedic. In the act of CPR, Jeevan says he had a feeling of “unexpected joy.” Now for most people that would be an odd thing to say when trying to save someone’s life, secretly knowing they are not going to make it. It was a joy for Jeevan because he has had many jobs in his life such as a bartender and paparazzo, but now he has found his career – a paramedic. He has been undergoing training to become one and now he was certain it was the right choice for him to do. Now, some might consider that thought of “unexpected joy” as a trait for being a bad person. It does not make Jeevan a bad person; he is training to do good and believes he, for certain, being a paramedic is what he wants to do. However, Jeevan did not save Arthur’s life, Arthur was pronounced dead. In personal experience, I have had a similar moment of clarity. I was in the car with my older brother coming home from shooting, then out from nowhere there was a horrific accident that happened directly in front of us. This truck got T-Boned and rolled side over side four times. Institutionally, I jumped out of my brother’s truck that was still moving and ran directly at the car that got hit and helped in any way I legally could. At that point, I just knew I wanted to help people.

3. Jenny Campbell
    September 1, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Jeevan feels an “unexpected joy” after responding to the actor’s death onstage. This is because the situation helps him confirm that he is meant to be a paramedic. Jeevan reflects on his past professions, claiming they never fulfilled his true desire, which is to do something important. He performed CPR on the actor for what is described to feel like a very long time. Even though he was not able to revive the actor, he still feels this joy because he knows one day he will be able to save someone. His desire to help others will finally be fulfilled.
    Some may say that feeling this joy makes Jeevan a bad person, but this claim is untrue. Jeevan only feels this way because he’s realized he will finally be able to make a difference. He will soon save many lives. Having this strong of a desire to help others classifies Jeevan as being among some of the very best people in society.
    I had a moment of clarity very similar to this when I was a junior in high school. It is the day of high school graduation, and a call comes through to the central office, claiming there is a bomb in the school. I come from a very small town, so the elementary, middle, and high schools are all basically in the same building. It is for this reason that the elementary and middle school students are evacuated first. My mom is a substitute teacher at the time, and on this particular day, she is teaching a junior high class. She immediately has me removed from class, and I follow the evacuation busses to the Little Bear East Arena, where the students are held until their parents pick them up. When I walk in, the children are extremely chaotic, specifically the young ones, who are thinking the worst at this point. I walk over to where the pre-school and kindergarten children are sitting, looking to help. Some of them know me, and are very relieved to see one of the older kids that they so humbly look up to. As I look among them, all I see are very scared, crying faces. I assemble them in a circle, and speak to them in a tone that will calm them down. I think of a few games to play with them, and not even five minutes after they had all been crying, they are laughing and having fun. I stay with them until the last one is picked up. Each parent thanks and hugs me, as what has been their worst nightmare of a day is finally filled with relief. However, I do not feel the need to be thanked. This is what I do, and this is who I am. I want to help children in distress. I want to be the person that every child knows they can come to with a problem, and knows that I will work with them to find a solution. This is the day I confirm that I want to work in child counseling services.

4. marissa shook
    September 2, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Receiving a call from any of my friends even remotely similar to the one Jeevan got would not be out of the ordinary. I have managed to surround myself with extremely excitable people. If I did come to the conclusion that something bad was happening I would try to get home. Home for me is very far away. I would want to get back to Cheyenne Wyoming. I would want to gather all of my family and friends some where I felt safe. that way even if worst came to worst we would all have each other. If I was stuck here with my “college family” I would still try to gather them so that I would not have to be alone while solving problems or resigning to the end.

• K. Jardee
      September 5, 2017 at 9:44 am

I would have been slightly alarmed when I ran into Hua, on the street car. I also tend to run the on the excitable side. So If he had actually placed a call to me like the Jeevan had received, I probably would have stocked up on water, food, fuel, hygiene, paper products and most certainly bleach, batteries and fuel. I would not have bothered to explain myself to the cashier. I would have been on the phone with my friends and family and tried to gather people at my parents. my dad has the survival skills of any person I know. At this point we aren’t sure of exactly is going on. i would try to gather as much fact as I could. I would call my sister whom is a physicians assistant and see what information she has gathered what data. i would hunker down at my parents for sure.

5. Emily Merten
    September 2, 2017 at 7:00 pm

When you feel your calling to do something you should listen and go do what you have been called to do. When Jeevan experiences the “unexpected joy” even though a man just died he knows for sure that he wants to be a paramedic. Feeling that joy doesn’t make him a bad person it only makes him human. We have all had a moment of joy when karma comes back to bite someone. Does that make us bad people? That night after jumping into action he felt his calling to help people in the heat of the moment when they need it most.
    When he jumped up on that stage it wasn’t get attention it was to help. So, feeling happy about what he did even though the outcome wasn’t favorable is alright. Jeevan feels this joy because his real calling and purpose in life is to be the first one on the scene to help people. He wants to be the man that rushes head first into the mess to do as much as he can. It seems no surprise to me that he feels joyful about what he did because in the end he knows he did the most he could.
    I have not yet had such a clarifying moment when I was so certain about a choice I have made. Someday when I have lived a few more years and experienced a few more things, hopefully I will know for sure that it is the life I want to lead.

6. Nathan Woodruff
    September 2, 2017 at 8:28 pm

In our history of human beings there are plenty of cases where an individuals find their calling in the face of death, war, accidents, and even natural disasters. Just because Jeevan found joy from a very horrible experience does not make him a bad person whatsoever, for he found joy in the fact his true calling presented itself and that calling is to help others. Now if Jeevan had the very same experience and found joy simply in death, then yes, in our society that would make him a bad person and I would be advising him to receive help. I myself have had that sort of clarity moment. For the past five years I have worked for Hiawatha Behavioral Health as a residential aide in an adult foster care home. During my time at the home I found that in the face of aggression and confusion behaviors I did not freeze or run I jumped right in to help that individual calm down and prevent injury without taking anything personally for I knew they at the time could not help it and needed help themselves. While working in this line of work I found myself face to face with numerous injuries as well such as cuts, bites, cracked skulls, suicide attempts and found I had instinctually and calmly handled and treated them very well. By this time I started to wonder if this type of work was for me and what should I do with my life. My answer came shortly after that moment when my final true epiphany of clarity came when I helped save a person’s life. After it was all said and done I just sat down and really had true clarity knowing that I wanted to help people and try and save more lives.

7. Tyler Keilholtz
    September 3, 2017 at 8:30 am

I definitely understand of what Jeevan is thinking because of his paranoia about situations. I would not be as dramatic about the situation as Jeevan is. I might get a small amount of supplies, but not as much as Jeevan got. I definitely would not have tried to say different reasons to the cashier of why I load up on some supplies. I might have not said a reason to the cashier. I also might be calling some family members about the situation, and asked if they are doing okay. Then if everybody seems to be okay, I would leave to a different place for a period of time.

8. Riley Collins
    September 3, 2017 at 10:05 am

Seeing how Jeevan responded to the the situation in the theater, I can understand why he feels an “unexpected joy” for responding to the actor’s death. I think he feels this way because he has been working on his paramedic training and he was now able to use his skills in action. It also gives Jeevan a sign of relief because it reassures him that being a paramedic is a career that he can do and wants to stick with it. Compared to his other jobs of bouncing back and forth from being a bartender to paparazzi. I feel that this does not make him a bad person because in a moment of tragedy he was able to take action, which Jeevan himself said he would normally never do. This is what was a major point to me as how I could tell being a paramedic was not a job he wanted to pursue, but a career he wanted to do for the rest of his life. Personally, I can relate to this similar moment of clarity and it was when I decided on wanted to play college basketball. I had been looking for a new travel team to play on in hopes it would better my odds of being able to play in college. I did find a team and when I played in my first tournament, and that’s when I knew because I fit in so well with the team. That was the last travel team I ever played on because it got to me to where I am today, here at Lake State, and changing to that team was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

9. Ethan Blaszak
    September 3, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Receiving a phone call like Jeevan got from his friend Hua, would be startling and hard to comprehend. Especially if it was a global event and not just with the people close around you but everywhere. Then ask yourself where do I go, what am I going to eat, are there others around me or am I by myself? If I was in Jeevan’s shoes and I knew there was an epidemic outbreak I would try and find some remote relatives and practice isolationism. If I had some time I would be stocking up on food like story mentions in pages 19-20, then I would be looking for some emergency oxygen tanks or army surplus gas masks to keep from the contamination. This being a global phenomenon this would limit contact from the outside world so that mean not being able to really live off the land for fear of bumping into others that may or may not be infected. The sooner the better I would think on stocking up on supplies because once everyone understands what’s happening it would be mayhem all around and it would be everyone for themselves. Unfortunately I don’t have much experience in this type of problem but I do know a little to get by.

10. Kali Henke
    September 3, 2017 at 12:59 pm

For the past several months Jeevan had been studying the signs of death and sickness as an up and coming paramedic. Similar to a athlete who had memorized a play by play at practice, when given the chance to score, or save some one’s life, adrenaline kicks in. Swiftly Jeevan sprung to action trying to save Arthur Leander’s life. That moment of time where he is with Arthur, checking for his pulse, you can almost feel that sense of accomplishment Jeevan feels. He was clear headed and was doing something rather than watching in horror. He had his purpose, a spark went off in his chest, a feeling of understanding and joy. Having that unexpected joy does not make Jeevan a bad person but rather human. People around the world had found their calling through similar experiences and to find your purpose in life is an exhilarating and beautiful thing.
    I personally have never found such clarity in my life. Unlike Jeevan I have not yet had a time where I could experiment as paparazzi, a photographer, or an paramedic. I hope to live my life and experience new things in order to find that unexpected joy, but until then I’ll wait.

11. Parker Dagenais
    September 3, 2017 at 1:29 pm

If I received a phone call like the one Jeevan got from Hua I would first start to panic a little because of the unknown. Then I would worry about my family and how they are doing. I would then start to plan a way to a safer environment. I would go to the local grocery store and gather as much food as I could and then head home to check on my family and gather supplies and pack it into the car. Then we would head to a place that is not contaminated for awhile even if that means taking a plane. Once in the safer environment I would evaluate the situation and make sure we have everything we need to get by.

12. Marissa Arndt
    September 3, 2017 at 1:30 pm

If I ever received a phone call like the one Jeevan received from Hua, I would immediately call my parents and my close friends. I would warn them about the situation, and I would have them meet me somewhere. Since most of them live around the Lansing area, I would tell them to get away from the city and other people and to start driving north. I would probably go to the store so I could grab any food and supplies that we might need to survive. After I got all the supplies we would need, then I would try to find some place in the middle of nowhere, that my family and I could stay in. I feel like the U.P. would be the best place to stay since there is not a lot of people and you could isolate yourself very well up here. My family and I would probably do very well living in isolation and out in the middle of nowhere. We are all hunters, and we grow our food every year, so we have all the survival skills needed to live through a situation like Jeevan is going through. Living through the winter might be a little tough, but we would be able to make everything work. I just really hope that nothing like what Jeevan is going through will ever happen and I won’t have to worry about what I would do in that type of situation.

13. David Garee
    September 3, 2017 at 2:46 pm

If I were ever to receive a phone call like the one Jeevan did I most likely would panic at first, but once I calmed down I would try to think as rationally as possible and come up with a strategy. I would first call my family and friends and make sure they are okay. Once I did that I would then go out looking for supplies and stock up like Jeevan did. After that I would take my family and go somewhere safe and try to wait out till help could come and save us.

• Brendon Carrick
      September 3, 2017 at 6:19 pm

If I ever received a phone call like the one Jeevan did the first thing that would be going through my mind would be if I was exposed to the disease or whatever was taking life’s. I would go through all of my contacts and see if everyone are doing ok. From that point I’d establish a plan starting by stocking up supplies and locating an area that would be best for my friends and family. Just like Jeevan basically did through out the last few pages. Hopefully stay safe and flu free and pray for a vaccine or help.

14. ethan ritsema
    September 3, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Jeevan just realized what he was going to to for the rest of his life. i believe the joy he feels stems from the fact that he was always doing different jobs and now he as found his “calling”. As the actor Arthur was having his medical emergency Jeevan didn’t wait to see what was going to happen it was all instinct for him to run up there and help. i don’t think that his joy makes him a bad person because i don’t think that he is happy that Aurther passed away i think it was more joy that he was helpful and that he may have found his full time job instead of having to jump job to job. yes i have had similar moment of clarity. it came to will i was in the Navy i was going through one of my first fire trainers, to teach sailors how to properly combat shipboard fires. i just remember getting out of trainer and taking off my SCBA mask and thinking that what i did was so cool, that i knew what i wanted to do for the rest of my working life is that i wanted to be a fire fighter.

15. Chad Mesnard
    September 3, 2017 at 5:56 pm

If I got a call that a mass epidemic was about to happen I would have done the same as jeevan for the most part but I would do a little bit more to make sure my family is taken care of. My first priority is to figure out where my wife and kids are at and get them to a safe location, then I would alert my parents and siblings of the situation at hand and have them let the rest of the family in the area know what is happening. After that is done i would start stocking up water and can goods anything with a long shelf life. I also have some boxes of mres (meals read to eat) from my time in the marine corps, they are a good source of calories and are can easily be rationed for days even weeks if need be. After stocking up on the essentials I would then try and get as much gas as i possibly could for the generator that way if the power goes down because no one is maintaining the power plant at least we would still have power and heat for the house. my next objective would be to barricade windows and doors in my home to keep people from entering and trying to loot the place. once the word gets out of epidemic mass panic would surely brake out so I would make sure that my home is secure and safe for my family to wait it out.

16. alex graham
    September 4, 2017 at 10:15 am

when Jeevan felt unexpected joy when he was performing CPR it was due to the fact he found his calling. he found what he was meant to do in his life. his joy was not for the fact that there was a man dyeing in front of him. since he finally had this sense of clarity, he finally found the path to walk down instead of wandering around blindly. feeling the happiness that he felt does not make him a bad person. In truth i think it makes him a good person since he found that he was meant to be a paramedic and help people. this sense of clarity is rare. for some people they might never have had this happen, like me. i never had a real sense of clarity like Jeevan did.

17. Jessica Orazietti
    September 4, 2017 at 10:51 am

If I were to receive a phone call from a medical professional that I trust, about a serious pandemic, I would behave in a similar manner that Jeevan did. I would first call the people that are close to me and let them know what was going on, discussing with them how to best respond. If the person on the phone told me to isolate myself, then that is some advice that I would definitely take. I don’t know that we would travel anywhere necessarily, because I’m apt to believe that we wouldn’t assume this pandemic was apocalyptic, rather that it would pass over in a few months. With that, I think that we would probably stock up on non-perishables and fuel, and gather together at my parent’s house. My parents have a private well therefore water wouldn’t be an issue, and their house is also large enough to accommodate our close circle comfortably. Additionally they have two large generators as well as a small one that we could use if the power went out. I think that we could probably wait out the worst of the situation there without issue. Being that the situation was worse than I thought and it did last an extended period of time, then we would have to re-evaluate.

18. Andrew Kaiser
    September 4, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Death is something that provokes many different emotions in people. Some are affected differently than others. In this instance Jeevan feels something we don’t often associate with death, he experiences joy. Does this make him a bad person? In my opinion it certainly, does not. Jeevan has been trying to find his calling in life, and now he understands what that is. When Arthur collapsed on stage Jeevan instantly reacted. It was apparent through his actions that he was extremely passionate about trying to save a life. When someone has been searching for their calling in life, and finally understands what that is, that is an amazing moment. All of us here studying at the university are looking for the exact thing that Jeevan is. We are here looking for our calling and passion. Jeevan is in no way a bad person for helping someone in trouble, and learning what he finally wants to do with his life.

19. Diego Penz
    September 4, 2017 at 2:31 pm

If I was in Jeevan`s situation, I would act similar. It is a good and fully understandable reaction to first go with his family. But after arriving at the apartment of his brother, he should follow Hua`s advice and leave as soon as possible. Jeevan said that he is not able to rent a wheelchair vehicle now and they had to wait until tomorrow. Concerning about what Hua said, it would be better to use a normal vehicle, because in this moment the epidemic is a bigger problem. And I don’t think that it is impossible that Jeevan`s brother can`t travel in a normal vehicle. Jeevan already has a lot of supplies and he should take as much as possible on his trip, because after some time the markets will be completely empty when the people start to realize the situation they are.

20. Joshua Gerrie
    September 4, 2017 at 3:09 pm

If I were to ever receive a phone call like Jeevan did from Hua, I would more than likely act in the similar way. I would be shocked at first and wonder, is this real? what’s going to happen? How fast is this going to spread? Who do I tell? I would call my family and friends and tell them what is going on and that we would be better off out where nobody else is. It would be important that everybody stays calm and we figure out what to do. We need to make sure that we have enough supplies to stay safe and away from others. I would inform those people that we need to go out to all of our camps and cabins, and make sure we keep very minimal contact with people because we have no idea who could be carrying the virus. We would have to hurry up and stock up on supplies that night to limit our contact with people. After we would take off and try to survive out away from everyone. We would need to keep a way to stay in contact with people through radio and phones if they are working. And try to see what’s going on. It would be important for us to keep in contact with each other to make sure all is good, and that none of us have been infected. I feel that it would not be to hard for us to adjust to living away from civilization because we live in a small town and away from most people. That would be a plus for our key of survival.

21. Alexis Passino
    September 4, 2017 at 3:15 pm

In the book, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, the main character Jeevan was at a play when Arthur, an actor fell to the ground mid-line. Jeevan ran to the rescue and performed CPR on the actor until professionals got there, there was nothing they could do, Arthur had passed. Walking home in the blizzard Jeevan was surprisingly joyful; with over a decade of switching professions, he finally knew what he wanted to do. He wanted to be a paramedic. Although this realization happened in poor circumstances, some may say this is an inappropriate time to feel joy, which is completely true aside from the reason that he was joyful not because Arthur died but because he found his passion.
    I relate with Jeevan in this way because during high school lots of my friends were so excited to start college so they could become a physical therapist, engineer, doctor or underwater-welder. Myself on the other hand wasn’t sure of any of that, I either wanted to be a dental hygienist at Ferris State University(FSU) or an engineer at Lake Superior State University(LSSU). I picked dental hygiene but then the day before orientation at FSU I changed my mind again. My mom brought to my attention that I could get my prerequisites done at LSSU and then apply to get into the dental hygiene school, while I was waiting to get in, I would get my associates in electrical engineering and then transfer to FSU to finish. As fast as I could process what my mom said, I knew that that was what I wanted to do! Excited, I told my dad, siblings, and of course my boyfriend. It’s an exciting thing when you go from wondering to getting confirmation. Jeevan deserved to be happy at that moment just as I did when I knew what I wanted to do with my life.

22. Myah Nyeboer
    September 4, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Jeevan feels an unexpected joy to have taken action and potentially saved Arthur. Now Jeevan’s attempt at CPR didn’t save Arthur but only eight percent of people who suffer cardiac arrest outside a hospital survive, therefore Arthur’s chances of survival weren’t great to begin with. Jeevan feels a surge of adrenaline when attempting to save the actor’s life because it’s exciting, exhilarating, it’s a rush he didn’t know if he would like. And now that Jeevan experienced the high pace of paramedic care, he experienced an unexpected joy because he’s hooked. He was able to jump up on stage and attempt to save a dying man while the rest of the audience sat and stared, useless. A lot of times in high intensity situations, bystanders reflect and wish they would’ve acted in a more useful way. Jeevan feels joy to have been the one to act and not wish he would have acted. Because of this situation Jeevan feels he has found his new profession, he knows in a high intensity situation he can act, which gives him the characteristics of a paramedic. Working in healthcare a lot of employees need to act quickly in providing care. I work in an assisted living center and a lot of times when residents fall or are about to hurt themselves, employees must act fast. This is nothing like performing CPR and potentially saving a life, I merely just save hips from being broken. But it still gives a rush of adrenaline, and moment of joy to know it could’ve been worse but thanks to quick caring individuals the situation is improved.

23. Justin Harcourt
    September 4, 2017 at 4:35 pm

In my opinion, nobody would know what their reaction would be in that situation until they were put in that situation. I have a feeling that I would go around the same steps as he did because, coming from Oklahoma, I always have everything I need to survive in a backpack by the door so I can be prepared for anything. In my backpack, I have micro-cord for snares, alcohol wipes, band aids, fishing line with some bait, and a magnesium rod for fire starting. After I go through my checklist I’ll go get the essentials for survival, water being first and then unperishable foods. I would contact everyone that I feel is close to me and then I would explain and make a rendezvous point to meet at later. I would get my bow and my air rifle for hunting and the group of people I’m with will find a very isolated location and make camp there. If you can’t tell by now, I like being prepared because you never know what will be coming to you in the future days. And thinking this way has taught me to not get too attached to anything because everything including people are only temporary on this world. We can’t change the future but we can try our best to make our lives count because we may not all be able to think my way so if something happens to us then the other people who are attached to us will break down and start losing hope. I hope you enjoy my blog about this “what if “situation.

24. Rog Stein
    September 4, 2017 at 5:54 pm

I think jeevan feels this “unexpected joy” because he’s been training for stuff like this for a long time and finally it becomes real where he gets to show his skills and how hard he’s been working , him feeling like this doesn’t make him a bad person it just shows how excited he is to do his job and put his skills to work his joy is because saving lives is what he loves to do not because someone is dying. I can say I felt this “unexpected joy” before because I had no idea I would end up here at lake state playing basketball, when I came up on my visit everything was just so perfect but unexpected I had no clue how much fun I would have coming from a big city to a place where most people know each other is tough I didn’t think I belonged here at first but it turns out to be the best desicion I’ve made for myself .

25. Lauren Densmore
    September 4, 2017 at 6:08 pm

If I was to get a call from a close friend and have them tell me that there was an epidemic and that I needed to leave the city or confine myself to a room with resources to get me through, I would probably be in a panic. I would have to take time to process what was actually happening so that I wouldn’t be making the wrong decisions on who to tell and what to do. I really don’t think I would question it, but I would probably try to do some research to figure out the best ways to avoid getting sick. I would start by calling my friends and family to explain what was happening. I would tell them that they needed to find a safe place to stay as well as get as much food and water that they could without exposing themselves to the flu. I don’t think I could keep what was happening to myself. I would feel guilty if I didn’t warn the people I loved what was going to happen if they didn’t protect themselves. As for myself, I would get as far away as where the disease is starting as possible. I would try to find a remote location where there are not many people living and either find or build a place for myself to live. I would try to go to smaller towns versus bigger cities to buy any supplies that I needed because the more people there are, the more likely the flu is going to be present.

26. Hampus Eriksson
    September 4, 2017 at 6:34 pm

I can definitely see why Jeevan thinking like he do but I think I wouldn’t act like that if I was in the same situation and I wouldn’t be as dramatic as he was. I think I would try to look it up and maybe do some research or something to avoid it. After that I would just try to call my family and friends and explain for them and warn them. And than of course move as far from the disease as possible.

27. Dakota Bumpus
    September 4, 2017 at 6:54 pm

If I recieved the same phone call like Jeevan got from his friend from Hua, I would have panicked. But I also would have done the same thing as Jeevan. Go to the store and get supplies then go over to my brothers house. The only downside is I wouldn’t know the right supplies to get. I would make sure to have very little contact with anyone else in public. But I wouldn’t make a big scene about it like Jeevan did. I would have asked what supplies I should get and then that would be the end of it.

28. Allison Orr
    September 4, 2017 at 7:11 pm

When Hua warns Jeevan about the epidemic, Jeevan had an odd reaction. If i received a phone call like the one Jeevan got from Hua, I think i would have reacted a bit differently. I would have went to the store and gathered supplies like he did, but he didn’t check on his brother or Laura right away, and seeing since Laura had said she felt ill prior to the phone call and was possibly exposed to the sickness at the theatre i would have been very worried. He also told Laura to leave town but was going to stay with his brother. I know he said his brother was in a wheelchair which did make his situation more challenging i still would have done everything in my power to leave town. From how fast Hua said the epidemic was spreading i wouldn’t want to take any chances. I would have left the city with my loved ones as fast as i could. I think i would have also tried to warn everyone i had seen, no matter how crazy they thought i sounded and tell them to leave town. Once i was finally successful in leaving i think i try and find a rural area with very few people since it would make getting sick less likely.

29. Marissa Kintz
    September 4, 2017 at 8:38 pm

In chapter 3 of Station Eleven, Jeevan receives and makes many phone calls to his old friend, Hua. In the past, Jeevan had had an anxiety attack wondering if there was an epidemic going on and had asked Hua to contact him if there was ever any actual epidemic that he should be worried about. If one of my friends had contacted me and spoke as nervously as Hua, and informed me that I should evacuate, I think I would react in a similar way that Jeevan did. I would hurry to a small grocery store and pick up as much water as I could and different non-perishable food items. I would personally not be as calm during the process though. Jeevan was calm and trying not to scare the clerk especially when he finally told her he suggested leaving the city. I would be crying and freaking out while trying to get in contact with my family and loved ones. After picking up the necessities, I would begin to drive home to be with my family, the way that Jeevan rolled all of the shopping carts to his brother’s apartment. When faced with an emergency most people, including me, prefer to be with family to keep each other calm and safe. In my opinion, Jeevan did a very practical thing that most people would do. I am however surprised he did not take Laura with him to his brother’s regardless of whether or not she left him at the theatre earlier that night.

30. Katie Stanfield
    September 4, 2017 at 8:38 pm

To receive a phone call by a trusted and well trained friend, such as Hua, would ultimately be terrifying. However to be able to know how one would respond in a similar situation would be unknown. We have recently learned that our reactions to unknown situations is not exactly how we might have imagined. Currently without actually being in the situation I would, most likely try to get to my loved ones as safely and risk free as possible. That might prove to be difficult however due to the amount of distance between us. I know that I have had dreams in the past where I’m in an apocalyptic setting and this is always my first goal. Find my family. In these dreams things do not always go as planned and separation occurs and I end up with one or maybe two of my loved ones fighting for survival. There is always a deep loss for the family that you have been separated from but I always find a way to push past and focus on what is physically surrounding me. I find who needs help, how to find the safest possible ground and any detail that will help conquer the enemy, in this case a virus. 207 I would take extra precautionary measures, such as a gas mask around any unidentified human, or animal; as one does not know if it is only infectious to humans. I would make sure to cover any open wounds as that is a possible site for a virus to entire and infect.

31. Justin Franks
    September 4, 2017 at 8:44 pm

I think Jeevan felt the way he did because he felt a sense of being happy for being alive. Since he is still in training to be a paramedic, the actor was likely his first “patient” and even though the actor ended up dying there was still a sense of accomplishment followed by trying to keep a man alive. I do not think this makes him a bad person at all, I think he realized that being a paramedic was what he wanted to do with his life and this unfortunate incident helped him realize that. Just like in the real world as a paramedic, not every patient you deal with will live, in fact many wont, for him to lose the actor he was performing CPR on and still want to become a paramedic says a lot about how Jeevan wants to help other people. I believe I have had similar moments of clarity such as in high school football games there was a strong sense of brotherhood among the team and if we had lost a close game we realized that we were there for each other, through the good and the bad, and sometimes it took a very tough loss to fully understand that. Currently I hope to one day be a nurse and if I follow through on it I will probably have a situation like Jeevan and I hope I come out of it still loving what I do.

32. Lukas Kaelble
    September 4, 2017 at 9:12 pm

I think if I would receive a phone call, like Jeevan did from Hua, i would at first be shocked.
    I guess I would at first think Iam dreaming, or I wouldnt believe it is true, especially because its nothing official yet. But then if I would trust the person as much as Jeevan trusts Hua, I would start to realize what it would actually mean if what he says is true. I think my first thoughts would go out to my family and frieds, wondering if they are safe. I would call them and make sure, then try to explain the situation and talk with them what we should do. Probably make a plan where we should meet, where we get all the food we will need and what kind of food, how much food? Where will we even be safe if the flu/virus spreads everywhere? So many questions that would pop up in my head. Especially because i would be here in the US and most of my family wnd friends would be back home in Germany, and it looks like flying is probably the most dangerous think you could do in that situation. So I guess I would just get together with people trying to get away from the big cities and just try to warn and help people.

33. Sara Foster
    September 4, 2017 at 9:15 pm

I believe that Jeevan felt an unexpected joy because he realized that he was finally certain of what he wanted to be in his life, which was to be a paramedic. By noticing the signs of distress in Arthur, he knew he had to react. He pushed past the ushers and threw himself onto the stage, catching Arthur just as he had lost consciousness. At this time everyone started to catch on that something serious was actually happening and a slight panic swarmed over the theatre. All eyes were on Jeevan as he performed CPR trying to save this mans life until the curtains dropped with a whoosh. Then it was just himself, Arthur, and the rest of the show’s cast and crewmen. Although Jeevan had failed, he was still very proud of himself for being able to step up when many others could not. He is capable of saving lives and that is worth the feeling of joy. Feeling joy over this event does not make Jeevan a bad person. He does admit that he feels guilty to be alive while Arthur lay dead somewhere but at least he was able to try and prevent that. He had the knowledge and skill to see that Arthur was not okay and that he needed help. Jeevan was also the only person out of the entire theater to jump into action, making it quite the heroic act. I myself have had a similar realization as Jeevan. It may not be tragic but still affected me in the same type of way. I took an internship at my local veterinary clinic this past year and it helped me decide that I for sure want to be a veterinarian technician. Like Jeevan I have found my career through hands on experience.

34. Alexis Taylor
    September 4, 2017 at 9:21 pm

I feel the reason why Jeevan felt the “unexpected joy” was because he had been training to become a paramedic and was finally able to put that training to use. Him taking that action to perform CPR on the actor that had collapsed and eventually died on stage brought on an adrenaline that rushed through Jeevan’s body. This was when he realized he was on the right path for his line of duty. This experience was much like when my mom and I helped deliver eight piglets for our first time. Living on a farm brings on many adventures like this. Our pig had a stillborn piglet stuck inside her birthing canal. So to prevent the death of the mother pig my mom let me put on some gloves and lubricant to go in and grab the stuck piglet. That was when I knew for sure I wanted to become a vet and the reason why I plan to work my hardest for the next eight years to get my doctorate in veterinary medicine.

35. Paul Matelski
    September 4, 2017 at 9:51 pm

After the initial shock of finding out that life as I know it would change with just a single phone call I know exactly what I would do having had this thought already in my mind many times from working on the National Airborne Operation Center at Offutt Air Force Base in Bellevue, Nebraska. One of the main missions of this “doomsday” aircraft was to evacuate important members of our government in the case of a catastrophic event.
    First I would call my daughter who is a nursing student at Northern Michigan University and tell her to get into her car and meet myself and the rest of my immediate family at our hunting camp in a remote part of the Upper Peninsula half way between St. Ignace and Marquette. We always have plenty of canned food on hand so we would pack up the car and the pets and get as far from human contact as possible. Water would not be a problem as there are many freshwater lakes and streams within walking distance. With my knowledge from having served twenty years in the United States Army I am proficient with a weapon and have been trained in hand to hand combat. Both my wife and I would be adept at providing food for ourselves and our children for many years. I have hunted and fished my entire life and I am very knowledgeable in the indigenous plant life.. My wife’s canning and gardening skills would come in handy for growing and preserving food. We would be able to live off the land for the foreseeable future.

36. Kyle Wadlow
    September 4, 2017 at 10:34 pm

If i was in Jeevan situation and i received a phone call like the one he got i would do the same thing. I would go and meet up with my brothers and go get food and water and supplies. I would go to the gas station that’s right next to my house. I would fill my truck bed full of cases of water bottles and bread and peanut so it would last the longest. I would bring gas cans and fill those up too. After going home and unloading the stuff in my house and fortifying my house so no one can break in and steal the stuff. When we run out of food we could hunt for food around our house, and raise dogs to help with the hunting. We would fish from the lake we live on. We could boil water when we run out of bottled water. We have plenty of guns in our house to defend ourselves from anyone that would want to get in and take our stuff or worse, hurt or kill us. Once our cars and trucks don’t work anymore and run our of gas, we can take parts off the cars and use them in the house for sheilin .We can just walk where we need to go when we no longer have cars anymore. In the winter we can chop wood and use it to heat our house so we don’t freeze. If anything were to happen to us medically my mom was a nurse so she could take care of us when we are injured or sick.

37. Kellie Garlinghouse
    September 4, 2017 at 11:00 pm

If I received a phone call like Jeevan had received from Hua, knowing what has been going on in the city. I would have reacted very similar, trying to not stir panic amongst the city all while I gathered supplies for myself, and my family to survive off of. I would avoid going near to many people, pick maybe a smaller store or shop in the city, but off the main trail a bit. I would gather anything that keeps skip the frozen and fresh products. You can never have to many cans that keep for 2-5 years in hand in an epidemic like this. I would also go for soaps and any medical supplies that seems useful in a situation like this, planning for the end of the world, you might want a band aid or some gauze maybe some Motrin? Cant hurt to have simple items like that when facing a situation of the unknown. Something different I would have done that Jeevan didn’t, I would find any way to get my family and myself off the grid and away from people. If I had to go out into the jungle to not contract this virus I would find a way to do it. Even if it means pulling off the impossible, at this point what is stopping him? There is almost no one stopping him from getting a car or a van and just leaving with his brother and his supplies to go away. Just leave from people gathering more supplies as you go along the trail finding small shops in the middle of nowhere. It would be a crazy situation to even plan out but at the same time what makes the most sense, waiting to die while the world gets sick around you or going and hiding out while this whole thing blows over or kills off the planet.

38. Brennan Bunker
    September 4, 2017 at 11:39 pm

Jeevan feels an “unexpected joy” because he has jumped from job to job his whole life, not really knowing what he wants to do for a full-time occupation. Once this situation arose he jumped into action and knew that being a paramedic was his calling. It’s not about if he saved Arthur or not he felt the unexpected joy knowing that he did all he could do until the medics got there. It does not make him a bad person at all. He wants to help people out when those people can’t help themselves. Since I am going to school to be a Firefighter/paramedic, I feel that this relates to myself pretty closely. I have had numerous similar moments, in the time I have been on my local fire department, over the last two years. The first similar incident was we got dispatched to a Personal injury accident involving four vehicles. I was the first one on scene to see a middle age man with critical injuries. We were on scene for 7 hours for the investigation, we had him out of his truck and on aero med in less than 20 minutes. We are always curious to here update in the weeks after sometimes it is good news and some, not so much. In this case the man survived but still has a long road of recovery in front of him. Just like Jeevan, there is a sense of unexpected joy knowing that you have helped as much as you possibly can.

39. Jason Osborn
    September 4, 2017 at 11:55 pm

If I received a phone call like Jeevan did from Hua, the first thing I would do is call the people closest to me, like my immediate family members. I would not rush into a grocery store and start loading carts up, lots of people go in and out of grocery stores day by day, and going into a place like that in the middle of a city that has broken out in an epidemic seems unwise. Instead, I would return home and gather up some basic supplies, at least enough to last for about 24 hours, get all of my loved ones in a vehicle and drive far away from the outbreak, probably to my grandparent’s cabin downstate. Upon arriving to the cabin, I would then go to a small grocery store and start buying all the supplies I could and return them to the cabin. After settling in at the cabin I would probably call some of my close friends to see if them or anyone they know was affected by the epidemic. Depending on if we had room for them or not I would them to the cabin if they didn’t already have a safe place to be. To experience something this sudden and shocking would be difficult, isolating yourself, not knowing who is dead and who is alive, also wondering if anyone in your family has caught the virus. It would be a true disaster to say the least.

40. Justin VanDyken
    September 5, 2017 at 12:08 am

After seeing how Jeevan reacted to the dilemma that occurred on stage, it makes it easy to understand why he is feeling a sense of “unexpected joy”. It may sound awful to think that someone can find joy in the death of a person that he or she has never met before, but Jeevan did not mean it in a bad way. Jeevan stated in lines 25-27 on page 8 of the novel, by Emily St. John Mandel, “My point is, if acting was the last thing he ever did,” Jeevan said, “then the last thing he ever did was something that made him happy.” This quote provides a sense of closure and easiness in a time of chaos and panic that was happening on stage. While jumping into action trying to save the actor on stage, Jeevan comes to the realization that being a paramedic is the career that he wants to pursue for the rest of his life. If he were to die trying to save another soul, then he would die doing something that he loves. I have kind of had a similar moment of clarity. This summer in mid June my grandfather and I went on a week long fishing trip to Alaska. Alaska has always been my dream place to visit since I was a little kid and to be able to fly fish there seemed surreal. During the trip, we got to converse and connect with a few guides and I told them that it was my dream to be a fly fishing guide just like them one day. Being on the river and looking up into the breathtaking mountains at that moment in time made me come to the conclusion that this career would be for me in my early years of my life and if I died in the clear, glacier water then I would die doing what I loved.

41. Mia Bradley
    September 5, 2017 at 12:17 am

I think if I were to have received a call like Jeevan did, I probably would have panicked. In the off chance that I responded to it logically, I might have done something similar. A flu epidemic breaks out, obviously you want to decrease your contact with people. I would first call my family and closest friends to let them know about the flu. I live in the Sault, so news travels fast because everyone knows each other here. Just making sure they know to leave would be the safest thing to do. You do need food to stay alive, so I’d go somewhere with the least amount of people, like a small store, and get what I needed. Dry foods, (things that won’t go bad fast) are things I’d probably aim for. Although I’d be decreasing my contact with people, I don’t think I’d go and do this alone. Knowing myself and as I mentioned earlier, I don’t respond well in those type of situations, so I’d need someone to calm me down and keep a steady head. After gathering food, it would be time to find shelter. Somewhere where we could barricade windows and doors so nothing could come in, and nothing would come out. We’d be in an enclosed space for awhile so we’d also need things to do, so we don’t lose our heads. I know at that point I’d be thinking, “What’s going on with my family and friends?” “Are they okay?” I’m sure I’d be a wreak at that point. I can’t imagine what Jeevan is feeling, because I know that I would right away be thinking that it’d be impossible to do. I can think about what I’d do now, but if it was actually happening I’d probably die. Just because I already worry about everything as it is. Knowing that I would have to leave one of my siblings behind because they wouldn’t make it is something I couldn’t imagine doing. I really can’t imagine what he’s going through. I’d feel terrible leaving them, but in order to survive, I guess I’d have to take Hua’s advice and leave as soon as possible. It’s the unknown that gets you. You really can’t say what you’d do unless in that situation. It’s a fight or flight response. You don’t know, and that’s scary.

42. Leslie Scott
    September 5, 2017 at 12:25 am

If I got a call from a friend about an epidemic the first thing I would do will be call my dad. He is trained how to survive in stressful situations. I would listen to what he had to say and take the tips he had for me. Also would convince them that they needed to get up to the Upper Peninsula to ride out the epidemic with me. But being in the Upper Peninsula I feel like we are in one of the best places to be for an epidemic because of the population size. I would definitely get all the essentials preferably from a small convenience store and move out of Sault Ste Marie as soon as possible. Most of the essentials I would get would be non perishables, food for my animals and fuel for the generator out at our hunting camp. Where our hunting camp is I feel it is a good place for us to survive an epidemic. It is away from high population areas, has animals that can be hunted for fresh meat, and enough room for our animals and us. Making sure we have enough fuel for the generator would be the biggest struggle if we chose this path especially for the winter months up here. Though there are ways around having to run the generator for heat such as a wood burning stove to help heat the house. Being in the woods there is plenty of trees that can be cut up and used for the fire in the winter months and to help cook if needed. So my family and I would also have to cut up wood incase it is needed.

43. Sharon Ayres
    September 5, 2017 at 1:39 am

If I were to receive a phone call similar to the one Jeevan got from Hua, I would probably become nauseous with apprehension. Being someone who generally worries a lot, hearing about an epidemic from a friend who works at the hospital would no doubt send me into panic mode. However, when it comes to what I’d do in preparation, I’d most likely gather supplies such as water, nonperishable food items, heaters and blankets, and any other necessary survival items that I could find in my house that would be good for the winter. I wouldn’t go to any store because being in the midst of an epidemic outbreak, you have no idea how many people who have contracted the illness are in that store, or have been, and the possibility of you contracting it as well. I would also call my family and close friends and let them know what’s going on, tell them to spread the word, and check on them to make sure they’re all okay. I would warn them to stay put and avoid contact with people as much as they could. Although I would definitely be panicking, I would be assuring everyone that we should stay calm and that everything will be okay. After collecting the supplies and making sure everyone’s okay, I would probably take my closer family go to my brother’s house and stay there since it’s much more secluded outside of the city and it’s a large piece of private property so it would be good for maintaining minimal contact to anyone who is possibly infected.

44. Kyra Vezina
    September 5, 2017 at 1:41 am

In the novel Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel, Jeevan, one of the main characters, gets an unexpected call. Coming from one of his closest friends Hua, Jeevan receives a warning about the continuously spreading epidemic running rampant through the city. The way in which Jeevan reacts to this situation is based on his awareness, and preparedness for disaster. Though it is not certain how one would ultimately react to the unknown, we are able to make a few guesses of what it may be like to be thrown into a scenario such as above. If I were to take a step into Jeevan’s shoes, I would have reacted in very similar ways. Shortly after receiving that dreaded call, I would’ve reached out to my closest friends and family to warn them of what was coming. Within my phone call to my friends and family, I would like to believe that I would have told them all to evacuate if they were able. In this type of situation, I would likely leave the area as soon as possible for a more remote and secluded area. Along the way, I would make pit-stops to get food, water and the basic necessities for one’s survival. I am not sure if I would have gotten as many supplies as Jeevan, but I definitely would’ve stocked up on a few different things. I believe the best thing to do in these type of situations is to remain calm, but act with determination of your survival. After I was sure my family and friends were safe, I would take it upon myself to survive the situation. Later on, I would just go about living, taking on life one day at a time.

45. Lukad Kaelble
    September 5, 2017 at 9:44 am

I think if I would receive a phone call, like Jeevan did from Hua, i would at first be shocked. I guess I would at first think Iam dreaming, or I wouldnt believe it is true, especially because its nothing official yet. But then if I would trust the person as much as Jeevan trusts Hua, I would start to realize what it would actually mean if what he says is true. I think my first thoughts would go out to my family and frieds, wondering if they are safe. I would call them and make sure, then try to explain the situation and talk with them what we should do. Probably make a plan where we should meet, where we get all the food we will need and what kind of food, how much food? Where will we even be safe if the flu/virus spreads everywhere? So many questions that would pop up in my head. Especially because i would be here in the US and most of my family wnd friends would be back home in Germany, and it looks like flying is probably the most dangerous think you could do in that situation. So I guess I would just get together with people trying to get away from the big cities and just try to warn and help people.

46. Emily Hulet
    September 5, 2017 at 1:32 pm

If I were to receive a phone call like Jeevan did from Hua, I would be initially shocked and startled to start. I feel I would almost be in a dream state or in denial this event would actually be a reality. After being in a sort of denial and udder shock from the situation, I would quickly transition into a panic mode or “survival mode.” I would immediately contact my family and friends and make sure were notified and safe, then I would run down with myself what supplies I would need to get. With trying to avoid any mass hysteria, I would try to go to the smaller stores into town. After managing to get all the supplies I would need, I would join with my family and begin to head towards our cabin in the more rural area of the UP. I would hunker down with my family for as long as needed, and I feel the location of my cabin would be the safest bet on the survival of an epidemic.

47. Veronica Lamkin
    September 5, 2017 at 1:44 pm

I think that Jeevan feels an “unexpected joy” with himself, not with the situation that just took place. He has been searching his whole life to find that “perfect fit” of a job. Jeevan has finally decided to train to become a paramedic. Upon attempting to save a mans life, he gets a rush of accomplishment. He might not have saved the man’s life, but the fact that he was able to try, and knowing that in some situations he would be saving a life. This gave Jeevan a sense of pride. He finally felt like he was doing something in life that could make a difference and positively impact others. That feeling of joy that Jeevan had, that was because he knew becoming a paramedic was what he was meant to do. Feeling joy about that does not make Jeevan a bad person. He was not happy about the death, but rather happy about his self discovery.

48. Megan Schofield
    September 5, 2017 at 1:58 pm

If I were to receive the same phone call that Jeevan did, I wouldn’t even risk going to the store to stock up. I would load up my car with food from my house and drive as far away as possible. Only stopping for gas when absolutely necessary and paying at the pump. While on the drive I would call my family so that they could get on the move as well. I wouldn’t want to meet up with them, because you never know where they were earlier in the day and whether or not they were exposed to it. I would definitely be very panicked.

49. Brent Knox
    September 5, 2017 at 4:07 pm

If I were to receive the phone call that Jeevan did I feel like I would go to a smaller store, and proceed to buy all of the nonperishable food, and water. Find the most outlying, and remote location I can find wait there until everything passes. Making sure that I could still get in contact with people, but never letting them find out where I’m living in case they tell anybody who would like to steal any of the supplies that I have gotten.

50. Kyle Smalec
    September 5, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Jeevan feels a joy when Arthur dies onstage because it helped guide him to what his true calling in life is, to be a paramedic. Jeevan has been through a lot of jobs, including two stints as a member of the paparazzo, and he wants more stability in his career. Knowing that he truly wants to be a paramedic relieved him of the stress of not knowing if it was right for him. This doesn’t make him a bad person at all. Though it was very tragic that Arthur died, Jeevan’s joy has nothing to do with Arthur in particular dying. Arthur probably wouldn’t have had to die, as long as Jeevan was able to help him, Jeevan would have known his career choice was the correct one. I have had slightly similar circumstances. Being a sports fan, when a key player on the other team gets hurt, and not seriously, I do feel a guilty joy that my teams chances of winning grew. But in contrast, none of the players getting hurt are dying, like Arthur does.

51. Francis Breen
    September 5, 2017 at 11:16 pm

In handling a crisis situation like having someone fall to the ground or look in distress is a stressful situation.I have personally been in stressful situations like that myself. Like i have had to do CPR on someone before, when you’re in that moment it really does seem clear. You know exactly what to do. After the fact, you tend to go through a few different feelings, of course, depending on how much you know the person, but i totally get the feeling of joy. He wants to help someone and he is trying to be an EMT. He know that he’s able to put his training into action and that makes him feel useful, even though it was a tragic situation. I do not feel like it makes him a bad person at all. Since i am trying to be a nurse and i work in that field, you do get a sense of joy when you know you are able to help someone. In a way it can be a selfish feeling as well, the sense of self centered gratitude, since he was able to help while others stood there not knowing want to do. The feeling of clearness in a stressful situation is real might be the fact that the body goes from emotional thinking to more of a logical point to point thinking, plus the adrenaline that is flowing through your body might be another reason. No matter the reason he knew what to do and he was able to try an help so i feel that he is a good person.

52. September 6, 2017 at 12:39 am

If I was in the same circumstances as Jeevan and revived three calls I would most likely have the same reaction. After the first call I would mos definitely be skeptical of the importance of the call, but after the second call, I would feel an awful lot of anxiety and call my family and get them together to figure out a plan. When I got the third call I would go to the closet pharmacy and buy as many health supplies as possible and take my family to a secure location that is isolated but also have contact with the outside world. I would want to be informed of all the risk of the flu and try to stay as far away from people as possible.

53. Aysha Scarton
    September 6, 2017 at 9:46 am

I feel I were to receive a phone call like Jeevan’s brother did, I would be in denial. I wouldn’t think that it was real. After some persisting, I woukd stock up on some small supplies, such as water, non-perishable food. However, by the time that I bought the supplies, most of them would have already diminished from the store. I would need someone who had a personality like Jeevan’s to prepare me for an epidemic. If it was a natural disaster, like Hurricane Harvey, I think that I would prepare well, since I knew in advance and it was on the news.

54. Natalie Olstrom
    September 6, 2017 at 10:28 am

If I were to receive a phone call like Jeevan did from Hua, my initial thought would be to think that it was some kind of cruel joke that they were playing. There would definitely be utter disbelief until finally realizing that it was in fact real. I don’t think that i would go to my brothers house and stay there though, I would want to get as far away from civilizations as I possibly could. Stocking up on all of the necessities needed to live would be something I would do in order to survive but staying in a highly populated area where things can spread around easier wouldn’t be something that I would do. I don’t think I would tell anyone else except for my family where I was going just in case someone tried to steal any supplies that I had or was infected with the flu couldn’t come and find my family and I and infect us.

55. Corey Turner
    September 6, 2017 at 11:08 am

During the death of the actor Jeevan experienced an unexpected sense of joy because he realized that he did his best to save the actor. Jeevan realizes through his training as a paramedic he learns that you can not save everyone. Jeevan feeling the unexpected joy for trying all he could does not make him a bad person it helps him. I have felt the unexpected joy by successfully fighting a house fire. The lost most of their belongings but completing the job I had to do gave me the unexpected joy in myself.

56. Chloe Montgomery
    September 6, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I believe that Jeevan felt happy after rushing to help Arthur because he took action. Through out the story we find that he suffered from extreme anxiety and paranoia. Because of that he most likely did not often step up and take action, he was the type of person to take flight in a flight or fight situation. But this time was different. He was able to help instead of feeling helpless. I have personally experienced this, to a different extent. I was bullied a lot in my youth and there were a few times where I had finally had enough and stood up for myself. I had that feeling of helplessness turn to a confidence in myself.

Join the discussion!